Ms. Danielle Smith
Premier of Alberta
307 Legislature Building
10800 – 97 Avenue
Edmonton, Alberta T5K 2B6
November 25, 2022
Dear Premier Smith,
Once again, congratulations on your election as the leader of the UCP and on becoming Alberta’s 19th Premier. We look forward to working with you.
Ensuring that Alberta’s economy is strong and that all people can participate to the fullest extent of their capabilities is essential to long-term prosperity. Below we outline a number of matters we believe are important considerations for early priorities:
- Embracing the vision and missions of BCA’s Define the Decade 10-year vision and economic development plan.
- Developing a provincial contribution towards carbon capture utilization and storage (CCUS) in complement to the federal government CCUS Investment Tax Credit (ITC), ensuring Alberta can be a competitive jurisdiction in which to invest.
- Participating in the “Regional Tables” initiative being led by the federal Department of Natural Resources to ensure that Alberta’s voice on the issues associated with resource extraction and development is represented.
- Expediting a provincial agricultural value-added incentive program modelled after the successful Alberta Petrochemical Incentive Program (APIP).
- Continuing investment in successful labour attraction efforts like the “Alberta is Calling” campaign and exploring expansion into targeted international markets.
- Launching an Alberta Workforce Development Strategy that will pay particular attention to Alberta’s development and recruitment of skilled trades, as well as creating the basis for an Alberta Post-Secondary Enrolment Growth Strategy.
We would welcome the opportunity to meet with you and discuss the Define the Decade initiative, and to further discuss the above priorities. Our aim is to work collaboratively with you and your Cabinet to advance the economic and prosperity agenda for Alberta. Thank you for considering the above, and we look forward to working with you.
President, Business Council of Alberta
cc: Ms. Erika Barootes, Principal Secretary