As we get into the final quarter of 2023, Alberta’s economy is sending some mixed signals. Many indicators point to a strong provincial economy including good labour market conditions, positive business activity, and wage growth, but challenges of affordability, slowing national growth, and declining consumer confidence weigh on future growth expectations.
In this conversation, we speak with BCAs Economist Team Mike Holden & Alicia Planincic to cover topics including wages & affordability, the labour market, and business investment. We also look ahead at our predictions for next quarter.
In this episode:
- Economic overview heading into Q3 2023
- Wage growth in Alberta
- Understanding retail consumer spending
- The impact of inflation on Albertans
- The concern over September’s job numbers
- Rate of population growth in Alberta
- The state of unemployment in the province
- Population growth in the major city centres
- Economic growth at the provincial and federal levels
- What indicators BCA’s Economist team are watching
- Lightning round on Alberta’s economic future
- Business Expectations Survey: Alberta businesses plan to increase staffing and investment
About The Brief
In this series, co-hosts Scott Crockatt and Brittany Brander explore the big challenges we face as Albertans; celebrate stories of growth, innovation, and prosperity; and discover bold ideas to make life better for Albertans.