It seems these days that the days, weeks, months and even years blend together, and it’s hard to keep track of the time. However, as we do mark another year, we wanted to take a moment to pause and understand what is on the minds of Albertans going in to 2022.
Albertans are still facing big challenges such as COVID and its emerging variants, divisions and polarization, a struggling reputation in Canada, and not to mention the global trends and forces such as climate change and accelerated digital transformation that will weigh heavy on Alberta not just in 2022 but in the years to come.
Despite these, there is much to be optimistic about this year: long-term unemployment continues its decline from its April 2020 peak, the province is seeing continued economic recovery, and Albertans are feeling pretty good about their finances.
To help illuminate some of these issues and provide insight into what’s on the minds of Albertans, we invited renowned Alberta pollster, Janet Brown from Janet Brown Opinion Research to the show.
In this episode, we discuss how Albertans are feeling about the economy, health, education, and other social issues, including the perceptions of Alberta from within the province versus from the rest of Canada. We also look to understand the role of business in society in Alberta and delve deep to better understand what goals and priorities Albertans are focusing on in 2022.
In this episode:
- What’s on the minds of Albertans heading into 2022
- How Albertans are viewing the economy and their own personal finances
- How Albertans are viewing issues related to social prosperity
- Perceptions of Alberta from Albertans versus the rest of Canada
- Role of business in society in Alberta
- “What does Canada see west of centre?” (CBC, West of Centre podcast, December 2021)
- “Alberta bound? Only half of Canadians say they’d feel comfortable making the move” (CBC, December 2021)
- “Where are all the places Canadians would feel most comfortable living? New poll answers Kenney’s question” (CBC, January 2022)
About The Brief
In this series, co-hosts Scott Crockatt and Brittany Brander explore the big challenges we face as Albertans; celebrate stories of growth, innovation, and prosperity; and discover bold ideas to make life better for Albertans.
Check us out on social media
YouTube: Business Council of Alberta