In the previous episode of The Brief (Episode #60), we talked with Alberta pollster, Janet Brown, about how Albertans were feeling and what was on their minds going into this coming year.
This week, we’re looking at the economics side of this conversation. Scott and Brittany speak to two members of BCA’s economics team, Alicia Planincic and Mike Holden, to help paint a picture of the economic environment in which Albertans find themselves going in to 2022 and discuss some key insights from their latest economic update, the Alberta Snapshot.
We answer questions such as:
- What impact has public sector job growth had on Alberta’s overall employment picture, and will those jobs be permanent?
- What does a normalcy index measure, and where does Canada rank?
- Should we be concerned about inflation right now?
- What lessons has COVID given us about how we understand economics and society, and what shifts will be permanent?
In this episode:
- Alberta’s economic rebound
- Return to normalcy?
- Current picture of inflation
- Link between inflation and productivity
- Impact of Omciron on Alberta’s economy
- The global normalcy index (The Economist)
- Alberta Snapshot—January 2022 (Business Council of Alberta)
About The Brief
In this series, co-hosts Scott Crockatt and Brittany Brander explore the big challenges we face as Albertans; celebrate stories of growth, innovation, and prosperity; and discover bold ideas to make life better for Albertans.
Check us out on social media
YouTube: Business Council of Alberta