It’s a new year, and that means we’re back with a fresh look at what is happening in the economy, both here in Alberta and Canada, but also around the world.
Coming into 2023, things are a bit in flux: people are concerned about rising inflation, rising cost of living, the cost of healthcare, and a looming global economic slowdown. But despite these hardships, Alberta’s job market is hot, people are moving to Alberta, and wage growth is expected to accelerate.
In this episode, we’re joined by BCA’s economics team, Mike Holden and Alicia Planincic, to discuss the latest economic update from the Business Council: what’s going on in the labour force, consumer sentiment, potential for a global recession, and expectations for the coming year.
In this episode:
- What’s happening in Alberta’s economy
- Alberta’s tight labour market
- Understanding wage growth
- Affordability in Alberta and the Alberta is Calling campaign
- The impact of a looming recession on individuals
- Business expectations in the province
- Global and national effects of inflation
About The Brief
In this series, co-hosts Scott Crockatt and Brittany Brander explore the big challenges we face as Albertans; celebrate stories of growth, innovation, and prosperity; and discover bold ideas to make life better for Albertans.