Alberta has been calling, and Canadians have been answering. Enticed by Alberta’s affordable cost of living and opportunity, thousands of people are moving to the province to make their home and living here, injecting some much-needed positivity into the province.
And while affordability and opportunity are attracting people to Alberta, and businesses are optimistic about our economic future, there are a few things we need to address in order make this short-term success translate to long-term growth and prosperity.
On this episode, we speak with BCA’s economics team, Mike Holden and Alicia Planincic, to break down the spring 2023 update of the Alberta Snapshot, an all-points summary of Alberta’s economy.
The discussion board includes Alberta’s economic outlook, the state of business in the province, the battle against inflation, wage growth, housing, and what we can expect in the coming months to ensure Alberta’s affordability.
In this episode:
- 30,000-foot view of Canada and Alberta’s economies
- Latest economic forecast
- What it means to “slow the economy”
- The state of business
- Manufacturing activity in the province
- Economic disparities between provinces
- Alberta’s employment picture
- Alberta’s high labour force participation rate
- Wage growth versus inflation
- Approach of the major central banks towards inflation
- Housing affordability and affordability measures
- Lightning round on Alberta’s economic future
About The Brief
In this series, co-hosts Scott Crockatt and Brittany Brander explore the big challenges we face as Albertans; celebrate stories of growth, innovation, and prosperity; and discover bold ideas to make life better for Albertans.