China has been the subject of many a headline and many an opinion throughout the years.
As our second largest trading partner, the relationship Canada has with China is, well, important.
And as China has been increasing in its economic power on a global scale over the past decade, politicians, business leaders, and economists alike are asking: what is China’s impact on Canadians?
On this episode, we’re joined by Canada’s former Ambassador to China and renowned expert on Canada-China relations, David Mulroney, for a wide-ranging conversation about the rise and current state of play in China, the impact China has on Canadian prosperity, health, well-being, and security, and what the future of trade and diplomatic relations between these two countries looks like.
In this episode:
- Getting to know David
- What we should be asking about China
- State of play on China
- The role of Xi Jinping in China’s story
- China’s impact on Canada
- China’s response to COVID-19
- Chinese interference in Canada
- The detainment of Meng Wanzhou
- Understanding the idea of a foreign agent registry
- Are foreign agent registries racist?
- Trade complementarity between Canada and China
- China’s reliance on Canada’s energy
- Lightning round:
- China’s call to Ukraine
- China’s new anti-espionage law
- Managing Canada’s relationship with China
About The Brief
In this series, co-hosts Scott Crockatt and Brittany Brander explore the big challenges we face as Albertans; celebrate stories of growth, innovation, and prosperity; and discover bold ideas to make life better for Albertans.
Check us out on social media
YouTube: Business Council of Alberta