Canadians are feeling the pinch from inflation and higher than normal interest rates, but what can they expect in the months ahead?
On this episode, we speak with Dominique Lapointe, Global Macro Strategist on the Multi-Asset Solutions Team at Manulife for a deep dive into Canada’s economy and how we are faring.
We discuss the Bank of Canada’s recent decision to hold interest rates, wage growth disparities between Alberta and the rest of the country, how businesses are faring in the current economic environment, and what Canadians should be paying attention to in the coming months.
In this episode:
- Getting to know Dominique
- The Bank of Canada’s interest rate decision
- Impact of inflation and a national slowdown on Canada’s economy
- How Canadians are faring in the current economic environment
- What we can expect for Canada’s long-term interest rate projections
- The impact of high interest rates on banks in Canada and the United States
- Correlation between inflation and corporate greed
- Wage growth in Canada versus Alberta
- Canadian Business Outlook Survey
- The role of uncertainty in today’s economic environment
- Bank of Canada: Business Outlook Survey
About The Brief
In this series, co-hosts Scott Crockatt and Brittany Brander explore the big challenges we face as Albertans; celebrate stories of growth, innovation, and prosperity; and discover bold ideas to make life better for Albertans.