As many Albertans experienced the devastating loss of loved ones; the loneliness of social distancing; the disruption to work and home life; and compounding responsibilities of childcare and homeschool, the toll that this past year has taken on mental health has been significant and notable.
But just how significant has the impact been?
Dr. Robbie Babins-Wagner, CEO of the Calgary Counselling Centre, returns to the show to share some recent data and insights into this question. She shares her research on the current state of mental health in Alberta, shifts in the core distresses from pre-COVID, and why uncertainty—of where we can go, of when we will be able to see our friends and family again, of when we might return to “normalcy”—underscores much of the mental health distress over the past year.
Dr. Babins-Wagner explores the important connection between employer and employee to overall positive mental well-being; why economic recovery is key to improving outcomes in Alberta right now; and practical advice to leaders to reach out to their teams to normalize conversations around mental health, help manage uncertainty, and create much-needed human connections.
Resources & Support
If you are struggling right now, reach out for help and get connected to resources and support.
- Emergency – 911
- Addiction Helpline – 1-866-332-2322
- Mental Health Helpline – 1-877-303-2642
Important Phone/Text Numbers:
- Community Resources – 211 Alberta
- Health Link – 811
- Crisis Text Line – Text CONNECT to 741741
- Family Violence – Find Supports – 310-1818
- Income Supports – 1-866-644-5135
- Kids Help Phone – 1-800-668-6868 or text CONNECT to 686868
- MyHealth.Alberta.ca: List of Important Numbers
- Physician & Family Support Program – 1-877-767-463
Additional Resources: https://www.albertahealthservices.ca/amh/page16759.aspx
In this episode:
- Current state of mental health in Alberta—positive, challenging, and uncertain
- How COVID has shifted challenges related to mental health
- Importance of the employer-employee relationship to positive mental well-being
- Practical tips for leaders to support employees
- Importance of economic recovery to improving mental health outcomes
- Long-term implications of COVID on mental health
- Building a strategy for long-term mental health support for Albertans
- The Mental Health Index™ report Canada, March 2021
- Edelman 2021 Trust Barometer
- Calgary’s Mental Health and Addiction Strategy: A community of connections
- Alberta Health Services Mental Health Resources
- Episode #008: Supporting Mental Health Amid COVID-19
Share this episodeAfter living with #COVID for more than a year, how has our mental health fared? Dr. Robbie Babins-Wagner of the Calgary Counselling Centre returns to #AlbertaBETTER to explore this question and more. Listen: Share this episode
Check us out on social media
Subscribe to AlbertaBETTER
Share your thoughts
Have an idea for us to explore or question for us? Send us a message!