One year ago, Albertans were facing incredible uncertainty. We were in the middle of a new wave of COVID cases, vaccines had not yet arrived for the general public, unemployment was sitting at near-record highs.
Since then, 85% of Albertans aged 12 and over are fully vaccinated; pediatric vaccines have hit the market; employment is close to pre-pandemic levels; and the economy appears to be on an upward trajectory.
This year was also marked by heartbreak: In May, the unmarked graves of 215 children were discovered at the Kamloops Indian Residential School in Kamloops, on the lands of the Tk’emlúps te Secwépemc First Nation. That number has since risen into the thousands.
Thousands of Albertans lost loved ones to the pandemic. Still more Canadians were displaced due to severe weather, and mental stress has been weighing heavily on Canadians.
While perhaps not unprecedented, this year was still very challenging, yet Albertans remain resilient and optimistic.
And so on this episode, we’re taking a look back at the big events that shaped 2021, previewing what BCA will be working on in the New Year, and sharing some recommendations for holiday reading with special guest BCA’s own President, Adam Legge.
In this episode:
- Big events of 2021
- Where Alberta stands today—economy, people, and policy
- 2021 Policy wins—energy and environment, child care, Alberta 2030
- What’s facing Alberta going in 2022—labour shortages, vaccination policy for employers, long-term unemployment
- Preview of what’s coming out from BCA in 2022
- Adam’s book recommendations
- Numbers Don’t Lie: 71 Stories to Help Us Understand the Modern World by Vaclav Smil
- 21 Things You Didn’t Know About the Indian Act by Bob Joseph
- Indigenous Relations: Insights, Tips & Suggestions to Make Reconciliation a Reality by Bob Joseph
- How to Avoid a Climate Disaster: The Solutions We Have and The Breakthroughs We Need by Bill Gates
About The Brief
In this series, co-hosts Scott Crockatt and Brittany Brander explore the big challenges we face as Albertans; celebrate stories of growth, innovation, and prosperity; and discover bold ideas to make life better for Albertans. See more episodes here.
Share this episodeAs we approach the end of 2021, we’re bringing you one final episode of #AlbertaBETTER of the season. On this episode, we’re reflecting on the big events of 2021 and presenting a little sneak peek of what’s up our sleeves for next… Share this episode
Check us out on social media
Subscribe to AlbertaBETTER
Share your thoughts
Have an idea for us to explore or question for us? Send us a message!