Alberta has a unique emissions profile in Canada. As the centre of much of the nation’s energy production, Alberta is a significant emitter of greenhouse gas emissions.
But that fact also points to the opportunity found in Alberta to move the needle on emissions reduction efforts in Canada—and to contribute to providing the world with a clean, affordable, and secure source of energy.
In early 2022, the Business Council of Alberta released a report called A Low-Carbon Industrial Strategy for Alberta, which outlines a clear pathway for Alberta and Canada to seize this opportunity. The report’s recommendations highlight the need for a tailored plan for Alberta and what actions are needed from business leaders and what policy supports are needed from policymakers at all levels of government to realize Canada’s climate goals.
Al Reid, former Director of the Pathways Alliance and former co-chair of BCA’s Energy & Environment Committee, joins co-hosts Brittany Brander and Scott Crockatt to break down the report and its recommendations for industry and government, why a tailored strategy for Alberta is important, the importance of bringing energy security back into the conversation, and more.
In this episode:
- Alberta’s current actions on ESG and climate actions
- Dual goals of emissions reduction and energy security
- Low-Carbon Industrial Strategy: goals & key recommendations
- Regulatory barriers to realizing Canada’s climate goals
- Role of carbon pricing
- Policies needed to move an industrial strategy forward
- Impact of the Emissions Reduction Plan
- Incorporating energy security into the emissions reduction conversation
- What businesses and governments should know
- Low-Carbon Industrial Strategy for Alberta Final Report
- A Vision for Canada’s Environment & Energy Future
- A Healthy Environment and A Healthy Economy
- 2030 Emissions Reduction Plan: Clean Air, Strong Economy
- Oil Sands Pathways to Net Zero: The Pathways Vision
About The Energy Evolution
This limited series explores the technologies, future fuels, collaborations, and more that are at the core of today’s energy evolution and how Alberta can lead the charge to a low-carbon world. See more episodes.
Share this episodeAn outsized emissions profile creates an outsized opportunity for AB to reach Canada's climate goals. Al Reid, fmr Director of Pathways Alliance, outlines a made-in-Alberta plan for Canada’s transition to a low-carbon economy. Listen:… Share this episode
Check us out on social media
Subscribe to AlbertaBETTER
Share your thoughts
Have an idea for us to explore or question for us? Send us a message!