2022 brought us what can only be described as world-changing moments: Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, the death of Britain’s longest-serving monarch, Queen Elizabeth the Second, overturning of Roe v Wade, protests in Iran.
2022 was also a big year for Alberta: we are experiencing the most dramatic fiscal turnaround in our history.
Premier Danielle Smith was elected leader of the UCP and became the 19th Premier of Alberta.
Albertans were really challenged with the rise in inflation. And much more.
In this episode, BCA’s President Adam Legge reminisces and recaps the major stories of 2022, how Alberta’s economy has fared, the big challenges Albertans faced, and the major policy wins.
We also provide a sneak peek into what we’re cooking up for 2023 and what is keeping us up at night as we turn the page on 2022.
In this episode:
- The impact of the war in Ukraine on the world and in Canada
- Addressing energy and food security
- Key 2022 global events
- Outlook on Alberta’s economy heading into 2023
- Implications for a high interest environment
- How Albertans are faring
- Big policy moves provincially and federally in 2022
- BCAs Define the Decade initiative and what was learned
- BCAs policy outputs across the year
- Carrying Define the Decade forward into 2023
- Concerns heading into the new year
- Focus of the Council in 2023
- Adam’s book recommendations
- Define the Decade
- Policy Paper: From Outsized Emissions to Outsized Opportunities: Policies to Support an Alberta Low-Carbon Industrial Strategy
- Policy Paper: Clearing a Path: Helping Displaced Albertans Re-enter the Workforce
- Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA)
- Book Rec: How the World Really Works by Vaclav Smil
- Book Rec: The End of the World is Just the Beginning by Peter Zeihan
About The Brief
In this series, co-hosts Scott Crockatt and Brittany Brander explore the big challenges we face as Albertans; celebrate stories of growth, innovation, and prosperity; and discover bold ideas to make life better for Albertans. See more episodes here.
Share this episodeIn this episode of #TheBrief, BCA President @awlegge highlights what the Council accomplished in 2022, major global affairs, and what Albertans can look forward to in 2023. Share this episode
Check us out on social media
Subscribe to AlbertaBETTER
Share your thoughts
Have an idea for us to explore or question for us? Send us a message!