When we think about the ways poverty presents itself, many of us envision the visibly poor and unhoused. But the realities of poverty are a layered, intersectional, and complex experience—and so are the solutions to reducing poverty.
On this episode, we’re joined by Executive Directors Meaghon Reid of Vibrant Communities Calgary and Erick Ambtman of End Poverty Edmonton to discuss Alberta’s poverty landscape.
We discuss the myths and realities around how poverty presents itself; paths into and out of poverty; the challenges of the rising cost of living for the most vulnerable communities; and address some tough questions within the poverty space.
We also reflect on how poverty in Alberta has changed over the pandemic, the crippling cost of loneliness, and real solutions that we can adopt today to combat poverty one person at a time.
In this episode:
- Getting to know Erick and Meaghon
- Defining poverty
- Pathways into poverty
- Circumstances surrounding poverty
- The landscape of poverty in Alberta
- The impact of rising inflation on vulnerable communities
- Connections between mental health and poverty
- Changing our perceptions on how to meaningfully address poverty
- How “booms” affect vulnerable populations
- Changes we can make now to make a difference
About The Brief
In this series, co-hosts Scott Crockatt and Brittany Brander explore the big challenges we face as Albertans; celebrate stories of growth, innovation, and prosperity; and discover bold ideas to make life better for Albertans. See more episodes here.
Check us out on social media
YouTube: Business Council of Alberta
Subscribe to AlbertaBETTER
Share your thoughts
Have an idea for us to explore or question for us? Send us a message!