At the start of 2023, things were looking up for the province of Alberta. In fact, Alberta was experiencing one of the most dramatic fiscal turnarounds in history. At the same time, Albertans and Canadians were struggling with the rising cost of living, a challenge the Bank of Canada sought to address by hiking interest rates. Now, as we get near the end of the first quarter of 2023, how have those realities held?
In this episode, BCAs Economist, Alicia Planincic, joins to discuss economic expectations for the remainder of the year, the latest GDP forecast for Canada, the outlook from Alberta’s business leaders and the economic lessons we can take from Alberta’s Budget 2023.
In this episode:
- How GDP measures economic well-being
- Canada’s GDP numbers and what they mean for Albertans
- Post-COVID economic growth in Alberta
- Likelihood of a recession in Canada and Alberta
- Provincial outlook from Alberta business leaders
- Lessons from Budget 2023 on economic growth
- Investment landscape for Alberta in 2023
- Impact of Alberta’s affordability plan
About The Brief
In this series, co-hosts Scott Crockatt and Brittany Brander explore the big challenges we face as Albertans; celebrate stories of growth, innovation, and prosperity; and discover bold ideas to make life better for Albertans. See more episodes here.
Check us out on social media
YouTube: Business Council of Alberta
Subscribe to AlbertaBETTER
Share your thoughts
Have an idea for us to explore or question for us? Send us a message!