When given the chance to advance one’s career by going to India, Bermuda, or Calgary, you may be surprised to hear someone chose the sunny Alberta city given the options. But after four kids, nine grandchildren, and a successful merger to create a North American powerhouse, there’s nowhere Alan Norris would rather be.
On this episode, we speak with Alan Norris, Executive Chair of Brookfield Properties, about his journey to the C-Suite, his experience taking an ailing company from the edge of bankruptcy into a successful merger, and the role of an Executive Chair.
We also discuss housing affordability in Canada and North America, the importance of being present within the community, and the value of passion in one’s career.
In this episode:
- Learning about Brookfield
- Alan’s journey to the C-Suite
- The life and routine of an Executive Chair
- Advice for someone starting their career
- Something you’d be surprised to learn about Alan
- Opportunities and challenges for the years ahead
- Market differentials around North America
- The need to be more innovative as an industry
- Labour shortages in the industry within North America
- Regulatory challenges within the industry
- Sustainable practices at Brookfield
- Alan’s charitable contributions and community-based initiatives
- How we can best address the affordable housing crisis
- Alan’s hopes for the future of Alberta
About C-Suite Unplugged
In this series, C-Suite Unplugged, host Adam Legge talks to Alberta’s top CEOs, entrepreneurs, and business leaders about their journey to the C-Suite, what keeps them up at night as an Albertan and as a leader in their industry, and what their outlook is for the future.