The term “Alberta beef” is synonymous globally with exceptional cuts of meat and delicious tastes, and yet, only 2% of Canada’s population is involved in the production of said agriculture. So what exactly does it take to run Canada’s beef industry?
On this episode, we speak with Kee Jim, Managing Director of G. K. Jim Farms, and Global Head of Animal Health and Agriculture for TELUS Agriculture.
We talk to Kee about his journey from high school to the C-Suite, what it takes to run the world’s biggest feedlot, the future of Alberta’s beef and feedlot industries, and key innovations coming out of the agri-food industry.
In this episode:
- Kee’s journey from high school to the C-Suite
- Choosing veterinary medicine and feedlot management as a career
- Daily practices for a successful career
- Advice for young people starting their career
- How to turn an “idea” into a successful career
- Understanding feedlots and where they fit in the value chain
- Update on the beef industry crisis starting during 2020
- Opportunities and challenges present within the industry
- Expanding operations south of the border
- The future of the beef industry in Canada
- Facts about the industry Kee wish more people knew
- Kee’s favourite cut of beef to work with as an amateur chef
- Kee’s long-term view for Alberta
About C-Suite Unplugged
In this series, C-Suite Unplugged, host Adam Legge talks to Alberta’s top CEOs, entrepreneurs, and business leaders about their journey to the C-Suite, what keeps them up at night as an Albertan and as a leader in their industry, and what their outlook is for the future.