As we enter 2024, Alberta finds itself in a relatively strong position compared to the rest of Canada and is forecasted, once again, to be a leader in economic growth for the nation. This strength is underpinned by Alberta’s outperformance in several areas including population growth, renewed vitality in the resources sector, a stronger labour market, and strong residential and capital investment. But while Alberta holds strong, the rest of the country finds itself sputtering.
On this episode, we’re back with BCA’s economics team, Mike Holden and Alicia Planincic, to break down the Winter 2024 update of the Alberta Snapshot, an all-points summary of Alberta’s economy.
We look at the labour market and employment, check up on consumer spending and general affordability and discuss business expectations and the state of the economy. We also look ahead at indicators to watch and opine on what’s to come.
In this episode:
- What we saw in the Alberta economy in 2023
- Understanding the change in job numbers and job vacancies
- Wages and consumer spending in Alberta and across Canada
- The realities of bankruptcies and mortgages in arrears for the province
- When we can expect to feel the full impact of inflation
- The story on housing and investment
- What we’re seeing from businesses and business expectations
- The impact of Alberta’s population growth
- Indicators to watch out for
- Lightning Round
- REPORT: Winter Snapshot 2024: Population growth and investment put gas in Alberta’s tank, as the country sputters
About The Brief
In this series, co-hosts Scott Crockatt and Brittany Brander explore the big challenges we face as Albertans; celebrate stories of growth, innovation, and prosperity; and discover bold ideas to make life better for Albertans.