While he never had his sights set on getting to the C-Suite, Mac Van Wielingen committed himself to use positive change to make life better for the people, communities, and organizations he worked alongside. Now, as one of five founders of the Business Council of Alberta, and the current Board Chair, Mac has further committed himself to see this vision through alongside BCA’s mandate of making life better for Albertans.
Known as a maverick of Canadian business thanks to his unconventional approaches, Mac has worked hard to address gaps in the business market through the creation of his companies, including founding ARC Financial, the largest private equity company investing in the energy industry in Canada.
As an energy industry leader, Mac has often been at the forefront of the ESG conversation, ensuring that not only economic impacts are considered within the ESG framework but also changing the perception of the role of Canada’s resource sector globally and the opportunity for strong environmental performance within it.
Mac is also passionate about addressing the critical issues of our time and the continued evolution of business’ corporate purpose and role in society. Now at the helm of the Business Council of Alberta, Mac encourages evolving conversations around ESG, diversity, and inclusion, and is deeply committed to creating opportunities and partnerships with Indigenous communities throughout the province.
In this episode:
- Mac’s journey from high school to the echelons of business
- Mac’s leadership philosophy & how his parents inspired him
- Top advice for professionals early in their career
- Strategic issues critical to the future of Alberta
- Mac’s vision for the future of the Business Council of Alberta
- Importance of cohesion and collaboration
- The energy crisis in Europe and the importance of stability and access to clean energy
- Canada’s ESG performance and the perception of Canadian resources
- Evolving role of business in society
- Diversity and inclusion throughout the business model
- Mac’s website: macvw.com
- Opinion: If we are not careful, the Great Reset could become the Great Regret
- What is the future of Canada’s energy sector? Emerging themes of an optimal pathway
About C-Suite Unplugged
In this series, C-Suite Unplugged, host Adam Legge talks to Alberta’s top CEOs, entrepreneurs, and business leaders about their journey to the C-Suite, what keeps them up at night as an Albertan and as a leader in their industry, and what their outlook is for the future.