For a long time, Alberta’s labour market was strong. If you lost a job, it wouldn’t be long before you were hired elsewhere. However, over the past several years, Alberta’s labour market has been some turmoil, and Albertans have navigated employment and unemployment through oil price crashes, global pandemics, and more.
And just a few short months ago, Alberta’s long-term unemployment rate was one of the highest in Canada—the second highest in fact. Recent job news shows that long-term unemployment in Alberta is improving, we still have a problem that needs fixing.
On this episode, we’re talking to Becky Penrice, the Executive Vice President at ATCO and take a closer look at unemployment in the province, discuss recommendations from a recent BCA report to tackle this issue, explore broader workforce developments and trends impacting talent attraction, and outline how we can continue to ensure that Albertans have access to the jobs and the skills they need to succeed and so much more.
In this episode:
- Evolution of Alberta’s labour market
- Experience of long-term unemployment
- Building a national competency framework
- Creating a one-stop shop for people to access job services
- Reforming the Canada-Alberta Job Grant
- Reforming Employment Insurance program
- Consequences of inaction
- Flexibility and future of the office environment
- Impact of the Great Resignation
- REPORT: Clearing a Path: Helping Displaced Albertans Re-enter the Workforce
- REPORT: Silent Crisis: Trends and Challenges Facing Alberta’s Displaced Workers
- ANALYSIS: The long-term unemployment monster hiding in the closet
- PODCAST: Episode #49: The Brief: Long-Term Unemployment in Alberta with Michele Evans, ADM, Labour & Immigration, Alberta Government
- INFOGRAPHIC: Recommendations to help displaced Albertans re-enter the workforce
- REPORT: Skilled by Design: A Blueprint for Alberta’s Future Workforce
About The Brief
In this series, co-hosts Scott Crockatt and Brittany Brander explore the big challenges we face as Albertans; celebrate stories of growth, innovation, and prosperity; and discover bold ideas to make life better for Albertans.
Check us out on social media
YouTube: Business Council of Alberta