The rise of globalization has given much to our world: we have been able to feed billions of people and lift millions out of poverty; try new foods from countries across continents and oceans; buy anything we could ever want at the click of a button and have it delivered within hours or days.
But this system is vulnerable, and on the brink of collapse.
On this episode, we are joined by author and renowned geopolitical strategist, Peter Zeihan, author of The End of the World is Just the Beginning: Mapping the Collapse of Globalization.
Peter takes us on a journey through the rise of globalization; why America is the heart and soul of the system; and why it is on the brink of collapse. We also discuss how demographics are changing around the world; how the devolution of globalization will affect regions around the world, including Alberta; and how Alberta can win in this new potential world.
In this episode:
- How Peter became a world-renowned geopolitical strategist
- The collapse of global order
- Understanding the demographic decline
- Alberta’s place during the global collapse
- Why Germany and Japan left Canada empty handed
- Postulating on who blew up the Nord Stream Pipeline
- Why the move to electric vehicles will be unsuccessful
- Nuclear power as a green energy source
- A big picture look at the war in Ukraine
- Advising NATO on Russian-Ukraine tensions
- The collapse of China
- Comparing the trajectories of China and India
- How Africa will fair during the global collapse
- Strengths and weaknesses of North America
- The Canada-US relationship
About The Brief
In this series, co-hosts Scott Crockatt and Brittany Brander explore the big challenges we face as Albertans; celebrate stories of growth, innovation, and prosperity; and discover bold ideas to make life better for Albertans.