How does an Edmontonian law graduate from the University of Alberta become the leader of one of Canada’s biggest integrated energy companies?
With focus, drive, and optimism (and a little bit of luck). Alex Pourbaix began his career as a lawyer in public practice before moving into the energy space at Northridge Petroleum, rising the leadership ranks quickly. When that company was sold to TransCanada (now TC Energy), Alex stayed on for nearly three decades, eventually becoming Chief Operating Officer. And since 2017, Alex has been leading the team at Cenovus Energy through both success and uncertainty.
On this episode, Alex talks about his quick rise to the C-Suite, how mentors helped him along the way, and what advice he has for future CEOs.
As a passionate leader of ESG, Alex shares his optimism for the future of Canada’s energy sector, why we need to be talking about an energy diversification, and what emissions-reducing technologies and future fuels he is particularly excited about.
Finally, Alex shares his insights on building prosperity for Albertans over the next several years.
In this episode:
- Journey from lawyer to President & CEO of Cenovus
- Making the early career move into senior leadership
- Advice to future CEOs
- A day in the life of Alex
- Behind the Cenovus/Husky merger
- Impact of COVID and long-term view on Canadian energy
- Views on ESG and the energy diversification
- Inspiration behind significant Indigenous housing initiative
- Plans to develop technologies and future fuels to reduce emissions
- How we make life better for Albertans
About C-Suite Unplugged
In this series, C-Suite Unplugged, host Adam Legge talks to Alberta’s top CEOs, entrepreneurs, and business leaders about their journey to the C-Suite, what keeps them up at night as an Albertan and as leader in their industry, and what their outlook is for the future.